Skip to main content

Blog Entry #7

In my observations I see teachers striving to meet standards. I have seen this in the timing of their lessons, they have had to work through some things more quickly than intended to stay on schedule with the expected standards. This could be considered a bad thing but to me both teachers still ensure each student is in the best position possible to succeed and provides additional resources as needed. In my observations it seems as though math and science are far more emphasized in my service learning placements. It seems like these subjects get the most time and attention devoted to them. This is the case for both the 6th and Kindergarten classes. I don't see a whole lot of art or creative things going on. I see a few things implemented as part of a reward system of sorts. This was surprising to me especially in the kindergarten classroom, I expected to see far more of that type of learning. I think that teachers are under a lot of pressure to meet certain standards so some of the time things like art and creative play are the easiest thing to exclude as there are less standards and requirements for that subject. 
According to the 6th grade teacher I am observing, she feels that the standardized testing is somewhat unfair to her students. She feels this way because many of them are learning English as a second language and she is somewhat limited on what helps she can provide during said tests. The kindergarten teacher seemed to feel the tests were fair. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry # 4

In my service learning I have seen many examples of the teachers using engaging techniques to help students be more engaged learners. The examples that stand out most include; the sixth grade teacher I am working with did a unit in science on insulators. To help the kids apply the things they are learning the teacher grouped the students and they all worked together to make miniature pool covers. After constructing the covers they then took the temperature of the water inside the "pool" every 10 minutes until they had three readings. The next morning they measured the water temperature again to see which pool covers were the best insulators and had a discussion about why some may have worked better than others. In the kindergarten class I see engaging learning opportunities far more often. It seems as though for every topic they have an engaging component to go along with it. When the students are learning to add and subtract the teacher sets out different objects such as ac

Blog Entry #1

I am going to be splitting my service hours between two schools. I will be doing one portion at Midvalley Elementary in a kindergarten class, and I will be doing the other portion at Jackling Elementary in a 6th grade class. At Midvalley Elementary 69% of students are considered low-income and there is a very diverse group of students. Their tests scores are below state averages. The surrounding neighborhood is very diverse and has people of many different socioeconomic and racial backgrounds. At Jackling Elementary over 75% of their students are considered low-income and many of them speak English as a second language. They have very poor test scores at this school but that is likely due in part to possible language and cultural barriers. As far as what I know about the surrounding neighborhood it is mostly low-income and many of the families speak English as a second language. I have learned that I will get the opportunity to work with a very diverse group of kids. I chose to spl

Blog Entry # 8

Are you making connections between course topics and Service Learning?   I am able to apply many concepts discussed in class during y service learning. Some of these include approaches to those that learn differently or those that are learning English as a second language. I have seen both of the teachers I am working with make efforts to accommodate each of the different learning styles and abilities of the students in their class.  Have you been able to articulate your own learning and understanding?    Yes, I have been able to make connections and even connect with students more effectively as a result of this course. I have found a great joy in the things I have learned.  Is the process of blogging helping you to think and notice things in your Service Learning?   Blogging has helped me put into words some of the most important things I have learned. I look up to both of the teachers I am working with and I am glad that I will have this blog to look back on and help g